Thursday 2 September 2010

Tacit knowledge in endovascular techniques

I have been asked to contribute to the second edition of the book Mastering Endovascular Techniques; Guide to Excellence by contributing a couple of 5 page sections on the transfer of both tacit knowledge and codified explicit knowledge. Obviously, I’ve agreed, but on the condition that I am not expected to pretend to know anything about endovascular techniques.

This however presents an interesting problem. What is the right aim for such a contribution? The best, I suspect, I can do is draw attention to the general possibility of a tacit dimension and to undermine natural prejudice against its role (this what I’ve begun to attempt in papers here and here).

There is, of course, an irony that my attempt to do this will be, in this case certainly, in quite general terms.